Vai al contenuto

Messaggi Raccomandati:

http://www.motorionline.com/2016/05/17/bmw-750d-xdrive-arriva-il-nuovo-motore-diesel-quadri-turbo-da-400-cv/

miiiiinkiiia! MA non era megliuo a sto punto fare un 8 cilindri biturbo? dubito che sarebbe stato più costoso e pesante di questo 6 cilindri.

BMW B57 quad turbo 3 750x500

Not to be outdone by Audi’s triple-charged SQ7 TDI diesel-powered SUV, with an electrically driven compressor acting as a third turbocharger of sorts, BMW has …

Not to be outdone by Audi’s triple-charged SQ7 TDI diesel-powered SUV, with an electrically driven compressor acting as a third turbocharger of sorts, BMW has gone full mad and created a quad-turbocharged diesel monster, dubbed B57. This new engine will be a 3.0 liter I6 turbo-diesel with four turbochargers, yes you read that correctly, four turbochargers.

BMW recently revealed this new engine at the 37th International Vienna Motor Symposium and it’s a quad-turbo kick to the naughty regions of Audi and its measly triple-turbocharged engine. The 3.0 liter I6 quad-turbo engine is capable of delivering 394 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque, or enough to throw off the rotation of the Earth. All of that monstrous torque comes in at just a tick over 2,000 rpm and stays there until nearly 4,000, but that’s where peak horsepower starts to kick in. Despite the insane power, this new B57 engine is said to achieve 5.7 liters/100km of fuel consumption, which is around 41 mpg US. Not too shabby for an engine with enough torque to tow a moon.

BMW B57 quad turbo 1 750x418

The new B57 engine will use permanent multi-stage turbocharging, using two low-pressure turbos and two high-pressure turbos. It will also have a Piezo common rail system with 2.500 bar of maximum system pressure. It will also have improved charge air-cooling with de-throttled air ducts. There’s some genuinely clever tech going on in this engine.

Apparently, the first car this beast will power is the upcoming BMW 750d and BMW claims that it should get from 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds which, for a 3.0 liter diesel, is mighty impressive. The current BMW 750i, with its twin-turbocharged 4.4 liter V8 petrol engine is capable of doing that same sprint in 4.3 seconds. While that’s a touch faster, it can’t match the B57 engine’s impressive combination of both speed and efficiency. Try getting 41 mpg from a 750i, it won’t be fun.

BMW B57 quad turbo 9 750x421

But it isn’t just the immediate impact that this engine will have that makes it special, it’s that it will help BMW in the future. It’s said that this engine will meet all federal regulations in the near future when they do eventually chance. So that means BMW will have a turbo-diesel engine that’s somewhat future proof. BMW also wants to get away from V8s, as the market for such engines decreases and the state of our environment worsens. This engine can help the Bavarian brand do just that, as many customers will see that you don’t need a hulking V8 to get great power out of an engine…you just need four turbochargers.

BMW-B57-quad-turbo-4

This new B57 is also said to rev quite quickly and it even revs pretty high for a diesel, with a redline of around 6,000 rpm. While that’s nowhere near the redline of, say, a BMW I6 petrol engine, it’s higher than many diesels and revs faster than you’d expect from a diesel. This gives the engine a bit more character than your typical compression-ignition engine and might actually allow it to be entertaining to drive. That is, of course, if you don’t already find spitting chunks of asphalt rearward, as 516 lb-ft of torque chew up the road, entertaining.

BMW is no stranger to crazy engines, as its previous tri-turbocharged I6 diesel was pretty crazy itself. But this is just over the top in the best possible way. If you buy one of these beasts, make sure you get xDrive if it isn’t already standard, as I’m not sure just two rear tires can handle that much torque.

BMW-Quad-Turbo-Diesel-Engine.jpg

bmw-b57-il-diesel-quadri-turbo_2.jpg

The N57S engine's dual-stage turbocharging setup consisted of one low-pressure turbocharger to take care of low-end torque, and two high-pressure turbos for the higher rev range. In the new B57 engine, the big turbo is now replaced with two smaller units on a common exhaust, to benefit from lower costs and smaller unit weight. In addition to the gains in power and torque, fuel economy has reportedly been improved by 5 percent.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/02/bmw-quad-turbo-diesel-confirmed/

As with the outgoing engine, the performance-boosting flow of compressed air into the combustion chambers is generated by multi-stage turbocharging. The high-pressure stage revolves around two compact turbos with variable turbine geometry integrated into a single housing, while a single, very large low-pressure turbocharger has been replaced by two smaller – and therefore faster-responding – units.

Generally speaking, the two low-pressure turbochargers and one of the two high-pressure turbos are permanently in action. Only under hard acceleration from idle will the two low-pressure turbochargers be bypassed by means of a flap control system. This allows boost pressure to be built up even more quickly. The second high-pressure turbocharger is brought into play at an engine speed of about 2,500 rpm.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/05/16/world-premiere-2017-bmw-750d/

Link al commento
Condividi su altri Social

2 minuti fa, infallibile_GF dice:

miiiiinkiiia! MA non era megliuo a sto punto fare un 8 cilindri biturbo? dubito che sarebbe stato più costoso e pesante di questo 6 cilindri.

A parte i costi di sviluppo per un motore, che in pratica userebbero solo qui e sui suv più grandi, rispetto a quelli di "tuning" dell'attuale unità a sei cilindri in linea, immagino che con un V8 biturbo di maggiore cilindrata non avrebbero

Nonostante la potenza in più rispetto al precedente propulsore tri-turbo, la nuova unità dell’Elica è riuscita a ridurre dell’11% sia i consumi che le emissioni di CO2 con quest’ultime pari a 149 g/km.

?

Link al commento

1 minuto fa, Alessio1H1 dice:

alèèèèèèèèèè!

A 40 mila km che assegno devo staccare quando andranno in polvere esattamente come nei modelli precedenti?

Garrett e KKK si salvi chi può!

Il triturbo ha avuto problemi di affidabilità?

Link al commento

Ma perchè continuano a spingere su un carburante che per sua natura non sarà mai pulito? Tra fap scr quadriturbo ecc ste auto diventano sempre più pesanti.. Non ho mai capito perchè non investano di più sul metano.. 

Modificato da Carlo23
Link al commento

Adesso, Carlo23 dice:

Ma perchè continuano a spingere su un carburante che per sua natura no sarà mai pulito? Tra fap scr quadriturbo ecc ste auto diventano sempre più pesanti.. Non ho mai capito perchè non investano di più sul metano.. 

Una 7er a metano?

Il mkt dovrebbe lavorare ben più che gli ingegneri... ?

E poi non in tutti i paesi europei ci sono infrastrutture che ti permettono rifornimenti simili a quelli dei carburanti di uso più comune.

Quello che trovo inconcepibile e che persone (o aziende) che hanno le possibilità economiche per poter acquistare auto di questo livello, si facciano poi problemi sui costi di esercizio!

• Mi Piace 1
Link al commento

eh si me lo vedo il megagalattico che arriva in 750 pentamilaturbo e si mette in coda con la panda la up la punto semirialzette al distributore di metano. Mi bastano quelli col cayenne 3,2 gts di 10 anni fa al distributore di Gpl e mettere 10 euro max ("eh mia moglie stamane mi ha svuotato il portafogli eil bancomat era fuori uso mannaggia")

• Mi Piace 2
Link al commento