Vai al contenuto

Messaggi Raccomandati:

FCA exploring large, Ram-based SUV; mid-size Ram pickup

Brent Snavely, Detroit Free Press12:02 a.m. EDT July 17, 2016

Developing a large SUV based on the Ram platform would give FCA a large, profitable SUV. A smaller Ram pickup would get the Ram brand into the hot, mid-size truck segment.

(Photo: Jessica J. Trevino)

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles may build a large SUV based on the same platform as its Ram 1500 pickup to compete with big SUVs like the Chevrolet Tahoe and also might add a smaller pickup to its truck lineup so it can jump into the hot midsize pickup market.

Developing a large SUV based on the Ram platform would give FCA a large, profitable SUV and give the automaker a vehicle that could go head to head with General Motors' and Ford's large SUVs.  A smaller Ram pickup would expand the Ram brand and give it a truck that would likely appeal to lifestyle buyers.

The platform that underpins the current Ram pickup is well-suited to for a body-on-frame SUV, Mike Manley, head of FCA's Jeep and Ram brands, said last month.

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Fiat Chrysler to invest $1B in Toledo, Illinois plants, add 1,000 jobs

The automaker is developing the next-generation version of its Ram pickup, which is scheduled to go on sale in January 2018. FCA also is planning to move production from its plant in Warren to its plant in Sterling Heights, a move that will increase the automaker's production capacity.

"You have the opportunity with a new frame for the next-generation Ram," Manley said. "You have the opportunity to take a large SUV off of it because we already have a very, very capable frame today that is going to be upgraded."

The Ram’s coil-spring suspension makes it “one of the best handling pickup trucks,” Manley said.

Big SUVs equal big profits

Head of Jeep Brand Mike Manley stands next to the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. (Photo: Bryan Thomas, Getty Images)

Large, body-on-frame SUVs are cash cows for automakers.

But even with a lineup heavily weighted towards trucks and crossovers, the Auburn Hills automaker has been missing out on the cash flow because it lacks a large SUV based on a truck frame.

Meanwhile, GM sold a total of more than 200,000 Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade SUVs in the U.S. last year. All four vehicles are that are all built off of the same platform and analysts estimate GM makes a profit of $10,000 or more for each large SUV sold.

"While crossovers are all anyone wants to talk about, the money is still in pickups and SUVs," said Dave Sullivan, an automotive analyst for manager of product analysis for Auto Pacific. "FCA needs to enter this segment. "FCA is chasing profit-driving vehicles and they are missing out on a major one, just as Ford is getting ready to launch an all-aluminum Expedition."

But while it would be based on the Ram, the SUV would not join the Ram lineup, Manley said. Instead, it would be produced for one of FCA's other brands, Jeep, Dodge or Chrysler.

FCA also is planning to bring back the Jeep Wagoneer nameplate in 2018 as a three-row SUV that, according to various media reports, will be built off of the Grand Cherokee platform.

'Opportunity' for a smaller Ram pickup

FCA has studied the market for a midsize pickup several times in recent years and has always held back on developing a midsized truck either because the timing for such a vehicle was bad or because the company didn't have the financial muscle to develop one.

Chrysler ended production of the midsize Ram Dakota in 2011. The automaker was thinking about developing a midsize "lifestyle" pickup back in 2012 that would have been similar in function to Honda's Ridgeline but didn't move forward with the project.

Now, Manley said, FCA is  taking another look.

The timing makes sense. General Motors brought back its Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon nameplates after a several-year hiatus in 2014 and they have both been a hit, Honda just launched a redesigned version of its Ridgeline pickup and Ford, which discontinued its midsize Ranger in 2011, is widely believed to be bringing the nameplate back in 2018.

Finally, U.S. sales of the Toyota Tacoma have increased 7% so far this year and sales of the Nissan Frontier are up 29.3%.

"In terms of midsize pickup for Ram I very much believe that that’s an opportunity for the brand," Manley said. "Not just because of the success of the few competitors that have been playing in that field, but I …have been part of the history of the brand, I think it remains a great opportunity for us. But I have no definitive plans for that to announce today."

Detroit Free Press

Devo dire che era ora

http://www.quattroruote.it/news/industria/2016/07/21/fiat_chrysler_automobiles_allo_studio_una_nuova_suv_su_base_ram_1500.html

Modificato da Pandino
Link al commento
Condividi su altri Social

29 minuti fa, Cosimo dice:

un bilocale su gomma in pratica

+ doppi servizi e depandance :lol:

• Mi Piace 2

. “There are varying degrees of hugs. I can hug you nicely, I can hug you tightly, I can hug you like a bear, I can really hug you. Everything starts with physical contact. Then it can degrade, but it starts with physical contact." SM su Autonews :rotfl:

Link al commento

52 minuti fa, dennisjocks90 dice:

Si però l'articolista di QR ha fatto un minestrone: Tahoe è di segmento superiore di Acadia ed Explorer se mai Yukon ed Expedition  :roll:.

Per non parlare del secondo paragrafo, in cui identifica nell'F-150 Raptor il rivale Ford del Toyota Tacoma :ahsi:

Raptor-and-Tacoma-in-snow-rescue.jpg

Firma

Link al commento

Corsi e ricorsi del mercato? Molti anni fa Ford aveva a listino l'Excursion, che era praticamente la versione chiusa dei pickup heavy duty (F-250/350 ecc...). La produzione era stata interrotta perchè era troppo grosso, pesante, consumava troppo e nessuno se lo filava più.

Sta tornando il tempo dei maxi SUV? :pen:

--------------------------

Link al commento

Forse stanno tornado i veri SUV piu' che i maxi SUV. Infatti negli ultimi anni si e' fatta una gran confusione spacciando i crossover come SUV. Comunque, indipendentemente da questo, considerato che RAM fa prodotti con un forte appeal per gli americani (insieme a Jeep e' con i pickup RAM che FCA fa soldi), ha senso produrre un vero SUV su base RAM 1500.

Link al commento

15 minuti fa, TurboGimmo dice:

Chi lo fotoscioppa? :D

Babba bia e' gigantesco.

Ford_Excursion_and_Toyota_Camry.jpg

Comunque non capisco piu' una mazza.. Wrangler pick-up, RAM suv..

ecco perfetto per parcheggiarlo al Carrefour di Paderno Dugnano il sabato pomeriggio prima di natale in una giornata soleggiata poco fredda e con promozioni prendi 4 paghi 1

• Mi Piace 3
Link al commento

1 hour ago, TurboGimmo said:

Comunque non capisco piu' una mazza.. Wrangler pick-up, RAM suv..

credo che in FCA si siano resi conto che questi nuovi modelli possono essere altamente redditizi. La competizione e' a tutto campo e gli altri non stanno a guardare infatti GM intende (pare) produrre un "rivale" del Wrangler sotto il brand GMC

• Mi Piace 1
Link al commento

Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.

• Crea Nuovo...

Stiamo sperimentando dei banner pubblicitari a minima invasività: fai una prova e poi facci sapere come va!

Per accedere al forum, disabilita l'AdBlock per questo sito e poi clicca su accetta: ci sarai di grande aiuto! Grazie!

Se non sai come si fa, puoi pensarci più avanti, cliccando su "ci penso" per continuare temporaneamente a navigare. Periodicamente ricomparità questo avviso come promemoria.