Vai al contenuto

Messaggi Raccomandati:

Parole sante. Ma solo io ho notato che il pirla che vuole risparmiare sui dettagli della Polo, fa smorfie, urla e gesticola come un italiano (visto dai tedeschi)?

E solo a me ha dato fastidio "Italia land of quattro"?

Non sei il solo. Il messaggio dell'italiano-tipo furbetto ed incapace non è proprio sfuggito.

Mi sa che per qualche mese ancora non lo rivedremo.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri Social

Volkswagen USA CEO To Congress: I Was Told We Got Caught In 2014

Volkswagen USA CEO To Congress: I Was Told We Got Caught In 2014

18s2n07ifmp8yjpg.jpg

Michael Ballaban

Filed to: VOLKSWAGEN10/07/15 3:42pm

1463848201701146766.jpg

The genesis of the whole Volkswagen Dieselgate thing actually began in 2014, when a West Virginia University study found a discrepancy between the emissions VW diesels put out in EPA tests and what they put out on the road. And in testimony he’ll deliver to Congress tomorrow, Volkswagen USA CEOMichael Horn will detail how long the company has been dealing with this problem, and how long it took them to act.

Horn is predictably cagey in his remarks to the United States House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations which he’s supposed to give tomorrow, and which have already been published on the House website. Horn apologizes once more, and lays out a plan for how the company aims to restore consumer and dealer confidence.

But the weirdest part about Horn’s testimony is what appears to be a substantial lack of details in the timeline in which Volkswagen was informed it had been caught, who caught it, the implications of its cheating, and the fixdevised. Here’s the relevant section, as Horn is planning to give it:

In the spring of 2014 when the West Virginia University study was published, I was told that there was a possible emissions non-compliance that could be remedied. I was informed that EPA regulations included various penalties for non-compliance with the emissions standards and that the agencies can conduct engineering tests which could include “defeat device” testing or analysis.

I was also informed that the company engineers would work with the agencies to resolve the issue. Later in 2014, I was informed that the technical teams had a specific plan for remedies to bring the vehicles into compliance and that they were engaged with the agencies about the process.

On September 3, 2015, Volkswagen AG disclosed at a meeting with the California AirResources Board (“CARB”) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”) that emissions software in four cylinder diesel vehicles from model years 2009-2015 contained a“defeat device” in the form of hidden software that could recognize whether a vehicle was being operated in a test laboratory or on the road. The software made those emit higher levels of nitrogen oxides when the vehicles were driven in actual road use than during laboratory testing.

So, let’s get this all chronologically straight.

• The operative West Virginia University study was published on May 15, 2014.
  • Horn was informed that the company’s “emissions non-compliance” had been caught in “the spring of 2014,” so no later than June 21st of that year.
  • Horn was informed, implicitly at the same time, that there was a penalty for non-compliance.
  • Oh, and by the way, agencies probably could detect “defeat devices” if they really wanted to.
  • Volkswagen engineers at that point were scrambling to get a fix.

Which apparently they had, or thought they had, by December of 2014 when they recalled hundreds of thousands of TDI cars for an emissions-related “glitch.” According to a Reuters report from late last month, this fix did not work.

Officials at the California Air Resources Board and the EPA agreed in December of 2014 to allow a voluntary recall of the company’s diesel cars to fix what Volkswagen insisted was a technical – and easily solved - glitch. The recall was rolled out nationally over a period of months.

On Wednesday, California Air Resources Board spokesman Dave Clegern confirmed that the letters were part of that recall. “This is one of the fixes they presented to us as a potential solution. It didn’t work,” he said.

So after this recall didn’t work, Volkswagen waited a further 243 days before finally admitting to CARB and the EPA its malfeasance. An extra 243 days to sell afflicted cars with their cheaty diesel engines, and Volkswagen managed to sell thousands of them.

Horn’s statement still leaves gaps through which massive questions could sail through. Who told Horn about the non-compliance? Did they simply tell him that the cars weren’t in compliance, did they tell him that the cars had a defeat device, or did he know about the device already and did they only inform him that the company had been caught? Who told him about the EPA defeat device testing capability? Did Horn not know about this previously? When Horn was informed about the possibility of penalties, why did he not issue a stop-sale order then? When the company had a fix, why didn’t it say anything at that point? Why did they wait so long? Who informed him that technical teams had a plan? Were these teams from the United States, or in Germany?

All of these questions, and many more, are likely to thrown at Horn during the question-and-answer session following his remarks to the Committee tomorrow. Maybe we’ll get some answers, but probably not.

In the meantime, read over Horn’s testimony below:

Horn Testimony

Photo credit: Getty Images

La trama s'infittisce....:pen:

Modificato da pennellotref

. “There are varying degrees of hugs. I can hug you nicely, I can hug you tightly, I can hug you like a bear, I can really hug you. Everything starts with physical contact. Then it can degrade, but it starts with physical contact." SM su Autonews :rotfl:

Link al commento

Ma chi ha mai parlato di vergogna?! :pz

Mi faceva e mi fa solo ridere il fatto che Opel si sia ritrovata di punto in bianco, senza sue colpe, con un claim ormai improponibile :mrgreen:

Già era simpaticissimo prima...

beh...se hanno tolto il claim "è una tedesca"...vuol dire che non ritengono opportuno specificare la nazionalità della loro vettura mentre prima l o facevano...ergo "si vergognano"

PETIZIONE 125 in Superstrada e Autostrada

La Desmosedici è una moto difficile, quando dai gas vibra e si muove, ma è una sua prerogativa perchè se non ti fai spaventare vedi che tutto funziona. [Casey Stoner]

Link al commento

Mi pare un po' una balla che in tre settimane dallo scoppio del caso hanno già la rimappa pronta.

Non sono riusciti in un anno negli USA ci riescono in tre settimane in Europa...

No i richiami partono da gennaio. In più in Europa sono avvantaggiati perché non devono adeguarsi all'ULEV ma "solo" ad Euro V.

In più IMHO non ci hanno nemmeno provato a rifare la mappa per gli USA, hanno temporeggiato pensando di non essere mai sgamati

Mazda MX-5 20th anniversary "barbone edition" - Tutto quello che scrivo è IMHO

k21x8z.png

Link al commento

State generalizzando e le generalizzazioni lasciano il tempo che trovano. VW e' una casa automobilistica e non una un corrente filosofica tedesca.

Detto questo a me si' VW e' sempre stata un po' sui cosiddetti da un lato per quella aria di prima della classe, del so tutto io....con l'aggravante che l'aria saccente che si dava non era del tutto giustificata (o in alcuni casi molto poco giustificata), dall' altro per l'impressionate potere di fuoco politico che avuto alle spalle.

Mi riferisco a cosette tipo queste:

http://www.alvolante.it/news/legge_volkswagen_europa_non_ci_sta-562411044

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-02-741_it.htm?locale=en

Ue: Antitrust apre inchieste su aiuti di stato a Bmw e Volkswagen | Radiocor, mercoledi' 13 luglio 2011 (articolo 956292)

Aiuti pubblici a VW - INDAGATO IL PORTOGALLO - Quattroruote

Se c'e' stata una casa che ha fatto leva sulla politica piu' e meglio degli altri per trarre vantaggi in maniera ...diciamo poco legittima...e' stata VW. Chiaramente ha trovato un' ottima sponda nella politica, iniziando da quella tedesca, che ha sempre avallato il suo gioco sporco.

Modificato da santuz
Link al commento

Vivendo qui in Germania ho imparato a conoscere i Tedeschi piú da vicino, Hanno un "caratteraccio" da tipico Tedesco ma Hanno anche un rispetto verso il prossimo veramente unico. Magari se la smettete di fare sempre le vittime capireste quanto i Tedeschi apprezzino gli Italiani e la Nostra Cultura . Personalmente mai mi sono sentito uno straniero qui in Germania . Quindi non facciamo i fighi sulle disgrazie altrui e soprattutto non guardiamo alla pagliuzza negli occhi degli altri ma la trave nei nostri. chiudo OT

PETIZIONE 125 in Superstrada e Autostrada

La Desmosedici è una moto difficile, quando dai gas vibra e si muove, ma è una sua prerogativa perchè se non ti fai spaventare vedi che tutto funziona. [Casey Stoner]

Link al commento

Per quello che ho sentito poco a dire il vero , i tedeschi sono rimasti spiazzati e delusi da un evento che sanno potrebbe avere un forte impatto sul Paese e ne sono preoccupati. Oggi sentivo che VW potrebbe dover risarcire lo stato Tedesco per le mancate entrate dei bolli auto. Quindi avendo un €5 non a norma i proprietari delle auto hanno usufruito di uno "sconto"sul bollo non dovuto .

Link al commento

Quindi avendo un €5 non a norma i proprietari delle auto hanno usufruito di uno "sconto"sul bollo non dovuto .

Sai che cosa diceva quel tale? In Italia sotto i Borgia, per trent'anni, hanno avuto assassinii, guerre, terrore e massacri, ma hanno prodotto Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci e il Rinascimento. In Svizzera hanno avuto amore fraterno, cinquecento anni di pace e democrazia, e che cos' hanno prodotto? Gli orologi a cucù.( O.Welles)

Link al commento