Vai al contenuto

L'autoparerista in cucina

TonyH

Messaggi Raccomandati:

I consigli culinari di Jalopnik :lol::

What Did The Ancient Roman Condiment Known As Garum Taste Like?

What Did The Ancient Roman Condiment Known As Garum Taste Like?

18s2n07ifmp8yjpg.jpg

Michael Ballaban

1225959378193521840.jpg

There once was a condiment completely beloved by the Western world, but today, it has almost completely vanished. It was slathered on everything, and everyone went nuts over it. You might be thinking it’s gone, but it isn’t. You can still get garum, sort of. If you try really hard, or are willing to pay for it.

You might not’ve heard of garum before, but it was hugely important 2000 years ago. Just how important, I’ll let Wikipedia explain, because it’s Sunday:

The manufacture and export of garum was an element of the prosperity of coastal Greek emporia from the Ligurian coast of Gaul to the coast of Hispania Baetica, and perhaps an impetus for Roman penetration of these coastal regions.
Amphorae recovered from shipwreck sites off Ansérune and Agde bear the traces of the garum they contained and date as early as the 5th century BC. In the ruins of Pompeii, jars were even found containg kosher
garum
suggesting an equal popularity among Roman Jews.

Each port had its own traditional recipe, but by the time of Augustus, Romans considered the best to be garum from Cartagena and Gades in Baetica. This product was called
garum sociorum
, “garum of the allies”.
The ruins of a garum factory remain at the Baetian site of
(in present-day
) and
(
). Garum was a major export product from
to Rome, and gained the
a certain amount of prestige. The garum of
(in present-day Portugal) was also highly prized in Rome, and was shipped directly from the harbour of Lacobriga (
). A former Roman garum factory can be visited in the Baixa area of central
Fossae Marianae in
, located on the southern tip of present-day France, served as a distribution hub for Western Europe, including Gaul,
, and

So it was kind of a big deal. And remember this is a long time ago, so it’s not like there was mass globalization as you see it now, for every little thing under the sun. But everyone in the Empire wanted garum.

Garum fell by the wayside as the Roman Empire collapsed, however. And was nearly forgotten, for a few reasons as NPR explains:

So how did something so savory, and nutritious, and widespread just disappear? Archaeologist Claudio Giardino said that it comes down to two things: first off, taxes.

“In the Roman times, salt was a cheap material,” he says. “When the Roman Empire collapsed, they put taxes on the salt. And because of these taxes, it became difficult to produce
garum
.”

And the collapse of the Roman Empire created another problem: pirates.

“The pirates started destroying the cities and the industries nearby the coast. You could be killed any moment by the pirates, without the protection of the Romans,” Giardino says.

So sad, for garum.

But what if you want to eat like the Ancient Romans did? What if you wanted just a small taste of that old-timey flavor?

Good news! You can still buy garum. Sort of. While garum drastically declined in popularity, it hasn’t completely ceased to exist. A modern descendent of garum is still made in a little tiny corner of southern Italy, and is known as Colatura di Alici de Cetara. That’s its fancy name, mind you, but in Italian it just really means “anchovy sauce from Cetara,” Cetara being the little village on the Amalfi Coast where it’s still made.

But if you go to Cetara, as I did a few weeks ago, they actually still call it garum! Most of the restaurants there have it in some form on the menu, and there are a bunch of stores that sell it. Though, depending on where you live, it’s not exactly easy to get to Cetara. First, it tends to involve somehow getting to Naples, Italy, then a train to Sorrento, then a bus to Amalfi, then another bus to Salerno, but you’ll ask to be let off at Cetara and everyone will look at you like you have three heads because what sort of tourist wants to get off at some random little fishing village???

(Or you can rent a car and drive, but even I’ll admit that’s a little nuts.)

But if you do make it there, the garum is delicious, and it costs about $8 a bottle.

OR, you can buy it on Amazon (seriously, Amazon has everything) for about $17/bottle. Small bottle though, so just be aware it is kinda pricey.

So what does it taste like? Well, don’t be put off by the fishy scent, as it doesn’t actually taste much like fish. To understand what it tastes like, just remember that Ancient Romans didn’t have a lot of spices, and most of their taste buds were destroyed by lead anyway. So it mostly tastes like a combination of salt and MSG. I know, I know, MSG doesn’t have a “flavor” on its own, but it enhances the taste of whatever it’s in. And, weirdly enough, garum is chock full of naturally occurring MSG, supposedly.

So, mostly salt, and a slight savory taste as well.

If you manage to get your hands on some modern garum, do as the locals do today and mix it with some spaghetti, chili oil, fresh garlic, and a dash of parsley. Add in a little of the pasta water so all the flavor a bind together.

The taste is simply divine, and quite unlike anything else in the world when it all comes together.

. “There are varying degrees of hugs. I can hug you nicely, I can hug you tightly, I can hug you like a bear, I can really hug you. Everything starts with physical contact. Then it can degrade, but it starts with physical contact." SM su Autonews :rotfl:

Link al commento
Condividi su altri Social

• 3 mesi fa...

Leggermente OT...mi è arrivato un pacco di aiuti umanitari :mrgreen: dalla Puglia...gran parte dell'aglio contenuto purtroppo è germogliato...dite che se lo pianto si riproduce?

My cars...

Autobianchi Y10 1.1 i.e. (1992) - Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-Jet Emotion (2008) - Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge (2017) - Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 TB GPL Super (2017)

Link al commento

• 3 settimane fa...

Esperimento di Tasca Ripiena:

11902572_10207660602543437_8606513079325517302_n.jpg?oh=9988e8d1866aa0a7c96d50e0749fa175&oe=56360DE8

Per farla:

700g di punta di petto con un taglio nel mezzo (fatto dal macellaio).

Per il ripieno:

1 uovo sodo.

100g di trita di vitello, 100g di salsiccia, 150g di spinaci, 50g di parmigiano, 2 fette di pane secco ammollate nel latte, 1 uovo crudo.

Si mettono tutti gli ingredienti del ripieno (tranne l'uovo sodo) nel mixer e si trita tutto.

Poi si infila l'uovo sodo nella tasca riempiendo tutto attorno col ripieno tritato.

Si chiude la tasca con spago da cucina o direttamente cucendola con ago da lana e filo da imbastitura (preferibile).

La si fa rosolare in casseruola con un po' di olio o di burro per un paio di minuti di lato.

Poi si copre, fuoco molto basso per 90 minuti aggiungendo brodo alla bisogna.

Una volta cotta la si lascia raffreddare e la si taglia.

Va bene sia calda che fredda.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some critics have complained that the 4C lacks luxury. To me, complaining about lack of luxury in a sports car is akin to complaining that a supermodel lacks a mustache.

Link al commento

• 11 mesi fa...
14 ore fa, Matteo B. dice:

IMHO il giapponese medio non prende certe iniziative se nessuno gliele suggerisce

https://www.tripadvisor.it/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187791-d7708324-i158557838-L_osteria_Dei_Cocci-Rome_Lazio.html

questi sono del centro di Roma e parrebbero anche nemmeno un postaccio

uno dei migliori cuochi di cucina piemontese che conosco è giapponese :mrgreen:

oh, a io sta variante la devo provare, poche palle. 

comunque per districarmi io adotto sempre lo schema cucina romana for dummies

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhLsL6BiyL2UIywWaDukC

comodissimo

• Mi Piace 4
  • Ahah! 1

CI SEDEMMO DALLA PARTE DEL TORTO VISTO CHE TUTTI GLI ALTRI POSTI ERANO OCCUPATI

Link al commento

ad occhio le foglie di salvia potrebbero essere preventivamente fritte.

comunque me lo proponessero io un piatto lo  mangerei. poi decido se ne vale la pena. 

cacio e pepe comunque è una ricetta un filo troppo basic, la carbonara fatta bene da sempre qualcosa in più.

• Mi Piace 1
Link al commento

uno dei migliori cuochi di cucina piemontese che conosco è giapponese :mrgreen:

oh, a io sta variante la devo provare, poche palle. 

comunque per districarmi io adotto sempre lo schema cucina romana for dummies

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhLsL6BiyL2UIywWaDukC77KFzTlddVzRLjWMmxOkCkYZEYz80OQ

comodissimo

In realtà pare che la ricetta originaria della carbonara sia col bacon. Infatti la carbonara si fa con la pancetta affumicata, la gricia e l'amatriciana con il guanciale dolce.

Link al commento

4 ore fa, jameson dice:

In realtà pare che la ricetta originaria della carbonara sia col bacon. Infatti la carbonara si fa con la pancetta affumicata, la gricia e l'amatriciana con il guanciale dolce.

questa me l’avevano già riferita, ma se lo dici a un romano rischi essere linciato in piazza.. :mrgreen: 

Una mia nonna era abruzzese, originaria di Capestrano, e faceva la cuoca a roma come molte del suo paese. Lei diceva che in verità fosse delle loro parti, come alcuni modi di cuocere l’abbacchio, perché comunque c’erano ricette simili.

• Mi Piace 1

CI SEDEMMO DALLA PARTE DEL TORTO VISTO CHE TUTTI GLI ALTRI POSTI ERANO OCCUPATI

Link al commento

questa me l’avevano già riferita, ma se lo dici a un romano rischi essere linciato in piazza.. :mrgreen: 

Una mia nonna era abruzzese, originaria di Capestrano, e faceva la cuoca a roma come molte del suo paese. Lei diceva che in verità fosse delle loro parti, come alcuni modi di cuocere l’abbacchio, perché comunque c’erano ricette simili.

Sono metà romano e metà abruzzese. :mrgreen: La gricia è veramente abruzzese, o almeno dei territori di confine: era il pasto dei pastori quando andavano al pascolo (guanciale e pecorino), poi impiegato con successo sulla pasta ed evoluto in amatriciana aggiungendo il pomodoro. La carbonara invece ha origine negli accampamenti americani al lato opposto del Lazio durante l'ultima guerra, come ha ricordato johnpollame.

E con le ricette della pasta abbiamo toccato un nuovo picco negli OT di Autopareri. Mi chiedo cosa resterebbe del forum se magicamente un giorno tutti decidessero di restare strettamente in topic.

• Mi Piace 3
Link al commento